Friday 19 August 2011

Feast of St. John Eudes

I have been so busy today that I quite forgot what the day was: the feast day  of St John Eudes!  I got home and read Ian's blog this evening -  it is very important as it invites us engage with the real world and its troubles and I shall respond tomorrow.   But for now, I want to draw attention to St. John Eudes who did so much to promote the devotion to the Sacred Heart and furthermore to show how it was relevant to the problems of his day  - not least in terms of the shortcomings of the Church.  I think we are called to do this in own times and in the face of our problems.  At the outset of the project we asked for his prayers and patronage for this icon, and I feel that he has indeed been watching over it and interceding on our behalf. So as this day draws to a close I want to ask him to pray for all who place their trust in the power of God's love as revealed in the Sacred Heart.



Our wish, our object, our chief preoccupation must be to form Jesus in ourselves, to make his spirit, his devotion, his affections, his desires and his disposition live and reign there. All our religious exercises should be directed to this end. It is the work which God has given us to do unceasingly.
(St. John Eudes, The Life and Reign of Jesus in Christian Souls).


No comments:

Post a Comment