Saturday 12 February 2011

Morning after the night before

I looked at Ian's first drawing last night and the first thing that came into my mind were some words of Teilhard in his essay ' The evolution of chastity', penned in Peking (as was ) in 1934. As my mind began to imagine how the icon could emerge from this initial sketch I thought of the Sacred Heart as the centre of divine love which fills all creation. The image strongly evokes the idea of radiating energy. I could hear Teilhard's words:

"The day will come when, after harnessing space, the winds , the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And on that day, for a second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire."


In Ian's sketch I can sense this call which the Sacred Heart is making: trust in the energy and power of God's love. For, it is in harnessing this energy humanity will find a new fire. The birth of Jesus for Teilhard is not just a historical event: it is a defining point in human evolution. He is in the Father, and the Father is in him. The Sacred Heart is calling to our hearts and seeking a response. The progress of humanity is not to be measured in GDP or in material progress: but in the capacity of mankind to harness the love which radiates from the beating heart of God's universe. I went to sleep with Teilhard's words and woke to find that they were still rolling around my mind. Went shopping : and they are still rolling. I think that Ian's initial sketch is such an excellent point of departure. DEO GRATIAS.

No comments:

Post a Comment