- The devotion to the Sacred Heart.
- Visit Elias Icons
- Description : angels saints &lettering.
- Contact Blog
- Praying with the Icon
- Who was Teilhard de Chardin?
- Benedict XVI and the Sacred Heart
- Basil Hume and Teilhard
- Popes and Evolution
- Benedict XVI and Teilhard
- Teilhard's Litany and Henri Pinta's painting
- Saint John Paul and the Sacred Heart
- Sacred Heart fresco, Paray-le-Monial
- Félix Villé 's Sacred Heart
Saturday, 5 March 2011
Church of the Gesu
RE : the earlier blog on the evolution of the image of the Sacred Heart (1) : I should point out, of course, that the Church of the Gesu in Rome is the mother church of the Jesuits in Rome. This famous church has provided a model and inspiration for other Jesuit churches all over the world. The painting by Batoni was commissioned by the Jesuits. Given the important role of the Society of Jesus in promoting the devotion to the Sacred Heart it is obvious that this image was to serve as the prototype for all subsequent images. Perhaps it was a copy of this painting that Teilhard would have carried with him and looked at every day of his life as a priest - as it was kept in his breviary.
Posted by DWP at 11:32