Sunday 27 November 2011

First Sunday of Advent

It has been fascinating and illuminating to have spent some time recently exploring the Sacred Heart through the Carmelite tradition and it seems that this tradition will give the advent season this year a new perspective: a new way of seeing Christmas.   Today, whilst reflecting on the words of St Teresa and St John of the Cross  my mind recalled the last verse of one of my favourite carols. And this has now provided a focus for this advent season.  The carol is ' In the Bleak Mid-Winter'  - (HERE )  words by Christina Rossetti-  and it was the last verse which came to mind at mass:

What can I give Him, poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb;
If I were a Wise Man, I would do my part;
Yet what I can I give Him: give my heart.

The purpose of advent is to prepare one's heart - to purify it - so as to make it a fitting place for Christ to be born.  At Christmas we give Him our heart, as the wise men gave their gifts and the shepherd's their lambs.

No comments:

Post a Comment